St. Louis trade roundup; Leafs drop Rangers; Diaz adds depth

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Twenty-four hours can be a really long period of time. On Tuesday, there was so much uncertainty surrounding the Rangers, their trade deadline plans, and what this team would look like for the foreseeable future. Welp, we know now. Here are your morning notes.

The biggest story, which in case you somehow missed, was the Rangers blockbuster trade that sent Ryan Callahan and two draft picks to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Martin St. Louis. There's obviously a lot to say on this topic, so I'll try to break it down into specific categories:

- Your run-of-the-mill, straight news trade stories. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [The Record] [Daily News]

- Some analysis, and how exactly this trade might play out for the Rangers. [Blueshirt Banter] [ESPN NY]

- On St. Louis' Rangers debut, in which, he looked pretty good. [Blueshirt Banter]

- Glen Sather and Alain Vigneault talk about St. Louis and Callahan. [Newsday] [Rangers Rants]

- Callahan expresses shock over the deal. [Rangers Rants] [Newsday]

- The highlights of St. Louis' very decorated Tampa Bay career. [NY Post]

- Steve Yzerman made the most of a bad situation. [ESPN]

As that last bullet alluded to, there was a game last night, and after scoring two shorthanded goals to erase a 2-0 deficit, the Rangers ultimately fell to the Maple Leafs in overtime. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

The Rangers made another trade yesterday, and another very heady deal in acquiring defenseman Raphael Diaz to give New York a depth defenseman. [Blueshirt Banter] [Rangers Rants] [Newsday]

It was really a truly hectic and amazing trade deadline. Other big names that were dealt include the likes of Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek, Matt Moulson, Ryan Miller, Roberto Luongo... the list goes on. If you missed anything, I highly recommend checking in with SB Nation's NHL trade deadline hub. [SB Nation NHL]