Hagelin to the top line; Tortorella's struggles; McCarthy signs

Bruce Fedyck-USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Only six games remain in the regular season schedule, and for a Rangers team jostling with the Flyers for home ice position, every game is invaluable. (To be frank, the Rangers haven't really clinched anything yet, although their playoff standing looks pretty solidified.) On Monday, the team took the ice to practice, and we learned a few things about how its next game might look. Here are your morning notes.

The New York Rangers signed undrafted free agent Chris McCarthy, who's season just ended at Vermont. [Blueshirt Banter] [ESPN NY] [Rangers Rants] [Newsday]

With Chris Kreider out, it appears Carl Hagelin will be the latest to be tried on the top line with Derek Stepan and Rick Nash. [NY Post] [Newsday]

The Rangers are traveling to Vancouver on Tuesday, and their former coach John Tortorella may soon be losing his job leading the Canucks. [The Record] [NY Post] [Daily News] [Newsday]