FanPost

Digger's Fantasy Hockey Wrap-Up FanPost

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king, and in the unpredictable landscape that is fantasy hockey... Digger is king. This past weekend I managed to best my own flesh and blood in the finals of the Blueshirt Banter fantasy hockey league and claim my very first title in Blueshirt Banter Fantasy Hockey (I've served as commissioner of Banter Fantasy leagues for three seasons now). I went into the playoffs as the 6th seed but emerged as the champion thanks to some key trades and a whole lot of luck.

So, let's take a look at the final playoff tree and how I managed to do as well as I did this year.

Playofftreebanterhockey_medium

(click to enlarge)

I'd like to offer a special congratulations to the rest of the final four: Jesus Marian Hossa (my brother), Tommy (Wu-Tanguay Clan), and Pep (Callahan Auto Parts). My victory was made sweeter by mowing down two of you on my way to glory. Now, as I sit upon a throne made of your mutilated corpses, I look at my winning team and can't believe I managed to win despite trading James Van Riemsdyk and Matt Carle for Tobias Enstrom and Nail Yakupov. Enstrom and Yakupov were both nightmares and JVR was a beast this season. Somehow I managed to overcome that boneheaded trade by making several key moves later in the year and getting lucky at just the right time.

I'm not sure what more to say... so here are some pretty charts and shit!

Top 20 Players and What Round They Were Taken In

Rank

Player

Owner

Round Drafted

1

Crosby

Digger

1

2

Perry

Jesus Marian Hossa

2

3

Sharp

Jesus Marian Hossa

4

4

Ovechkin

Tony

1

5

Rask

Jesus Marian Hossa

1

6

Jamie Benn

Kronwall of Pain

5

7

Getzlaf

Prepare 2 Be Boarded

3

8

Seguin

Bring the Rain

5

9

Pavelski

Tony

6

10

Giroux

RINIGING PIPES

2

11

Kunitz

Stepan it Up

3

12

Malkin

Glove Savior

1

13

Kessel

Pep

1

14

Backstrom (the center)

Bring the Rain

2

15

Bishop

Kevin Power

13

16

Kopitar

Wu-Tanguay Clan

4

17

Patrice Bergeron

RINIGING PIPES

10

18

Neal

Bring the Rain

1

19

Landeskog

Tony

7

20

Patrick Kane

Stepan it Up

1

Strength of Team Breakdown

(includes regular roster players dropped in Finals)

Team

Players in Top 100

Digger's Diggers

10

Jesus Marian Hossa

8

#BlameBickel (Kevin Power)

6

Prepare 2 Be Boarded

6

Wu-Tanguay Clan

8

Bring the Rain

7 (yes, including Stepan!)

Callahan Auto Parts (Pep)

8

RINIGING PIPES

5

Cougars (Tony)

7

BTW8892 (Bryan Winters)

6

Kronwall of Pain

5

Glove Savior

10

Stepan it Up

5

The Rancid Clams

3*

*= includes Tavares, who was dropped.

I kind of already knew this, but it sure does suck to be a Rancid Clam.

I'd like to thank everyone for participating in my Banter hockey league this season, especially those of you who were engaged and active all year long. I know that a lot of you are very busy people and it wasn't always easy to set your rosters and be on top of things. I won't forget those of you who were on the ball all season long when we are putting together next year's league(s). A 14 man league is pretty damn competitive and it wasn't easy to make a solid team when goaltending was so scarce and the talent pool became as diluted as it did. A lot of you guys were decimated by injuries (Stamkos, Rinne, and Tavares come to mind) but thems is the breaks. Hockey can be a cruel game, but that is part of what makes it so damn good.

So, to the managers of the other leagues, who were your champions? What were some of the highlights? The guys that were in my league; what did you think of this fantasy season? What were the biggest surprises and/or disappointments? Did you not participate in a Banter fantasy hockey league but have some stories to tell about your own experience in fantasy hockey this year? Share them with us!

Let me know what you think in the comments guys and gals.

LGR.

p.s. It does make me sick that Crosby helped me win a Championship.

p.p.s. FanPosts don't let you center things, apologies for the presentation of this post.

p.p.p.s. I beat you Pep. You and I met in the dark alley of playoff competition and I walked home to my nonexistent significant other, you were left in the alley next to a box of rats killed in medical experiments and VHS tapes of Mad About You. I'm never going to let you forget it.

p.p.p.p.s. I'm the champion.

SB Nation Featured Video