Rangers clinch home ice with Sabres win; McDonagh's recovery; Former Ranger in Frozen Four

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

With the regular season winding down, the Rangers only had one objective left on the docket: clinching home ice in the first round of the postseason. After Thursday night's game against Buffalo, mission accomplished. Your morning notes.

It wasn't a banner performance, but goals from Benoit Pouliout and Rick Nash were enough to push the Rangers past the Sabres, and into the second-place spot in the Metropolitan Division on the strength of a 2-1 win. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

Versus year's past, these Rangers are better suited at a Cup run. [NY Post]

He wasn't one of the players to participate in an optional skate on Thursday, and the Rangers are still waiting on the return of Ryan McDonagh. [Rangers Rants] [Newsday]

The familiar face you're seeing in the Frozen Four? Well, if you're a really crazy Rangers aficionado, it's Union's head coach Ric Bennett. [Rangers Rants]

And if you're interested in how the Frozen Four is going (and specifically Bennett's team), Union defeated Boston College to advance to Saturday's championship. [SB Nation College Hockey]