New York Rangers news: Pouliot, team, have mutual interest in contract

Maddie Meyer

A staple on the Rangers' effective third line, Benoit Pouliot

Benoit Pouliot was once upon a time the fourth overall pick in the 2005 NHL Draft. But unable to consistently produce as a pro, the 6-foot-3 winger has bounced around from team-to-team, playing with four different clubs before signing with the Rangers this offseason.

In New York, while it took him a little while to find his footing (Pouliot was scoreless in his first eight games, and to two goals in his first 29) he has since found a home on a line with Mats Zuccarello and Derick Brassard, and now, it's being reported Pouliot and the Rangers have mutual interest in keeping him in New York next season, and re-signing with the team.

From the Daily News:

"They're interested in re-signing him, and he's interested in staying in New York," Pouliot's agent, Kent Hughes of MFIVE Sports, told the Daily News by phone on Friday morning. "With the playoffs around the corner, I don't expect things to accelerate until the season's over. But once it is, there will be time to figure out whether there's a deal to be done, and there is no reason to believe we won't get something done."

Pouliot has scored 15 goals this season and recorded 21 assists for a career-high 36 points The 21 assists also mark a career best, while he's two goals shy of matching his previous single season mark.