New York Rangers news: McDonagh and Brassard in, Mason out for Flyers, and Diaz likely to sit

Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

A day ahead of Game 1 between the Rangers and Flyers, we're beginning to see how both teams' lineups might look like.

Following Rangers' practice on Wednesday, it appears the team is about as healthy as it's been the past few weeks or so. Ryan McDonagh, the team's top defensemen, who missed the las five games of the regular season nursing a shoulder injury, declared himself 100 percent healthy, and is a go for Thursday's Game 1 against Philadelphia, which of course, is rather big for New York.

Possibly even bigger than McDonagh's clean bill of health—which was more of a foregone conclusion—is news coming out of the Flyers' camp that Steve Mason will not play tomorrow night, after sustaining an undisclosed injury in the team's second-to-last game of the season against the Penguins.

In Mason's place will be Ray Emery, who in his one start against the Rangers this season allowed four goals in a loss. While Flyers head coach Craig Berube has not disclosed Mason's injury, which has been termed under the ambiguous "upper-body" category, there's reason to think Mason is dealing with a concussion. While no one has outright called it a concussion, re-watching the play that knocked him out at least makes one speculate that's what Mason might be battling.

Mason_injury_medium

The other good news to come out of Rangers practice today is Derick Brassard declared he'll be ready to go in tomorrow night's series opener. After exiting yesterday's practice with an apparent back injury, Brassard was on the ice today, and said he'll be ready to go.

The last update to provide from today's practice is that Raphael Diaz will likely sit with McDonagh making his return to the lineup. Many assumed the decision would come down to Diaz and John Moore, but Alain Vigneault indicated it will likely be Diaz, who was acquired by the Rangers at the trade deadline, who will be scratched tomorrow night.