New York Rangers news: McDonagh avoids serious injury, but expected to miss time

Martin Rose

A late hit knocked Ryan McDonagh out of the game against the Canucks last night, and will reportedly keep him out of the Rangers lineup indefinitely.

It pretty much goes without saying that Ryan McDonagh is one of the Rangers biggest keys in the lineup. Last night, the team held its collective breath when McDonagh took a late hit from Alex Burrows that knocked him out of the game, and appeared to injure his left shoulder.

While the New York Rangers offered no update on McDonagh last night, Larry Brooks of the New York Post is reporting McDonagh suffered no structural damage on the hit, which is good, but also not the whole story.

McDonagh, who crumpled in pain and remained on the ice for approximately 30 seconds before skating to the locker room under his own power, will be sidelined for an indefinite period of time. It is unclear whether he will miss any time in the playoffs that would begin in two weeks, on either April 16 or 17.

The Rangers magic number of points to clinch a playoff berth is down to three, but of course the team is still hoping to finish second in the Metropolitan Division and host a first round series. It's also important to note it appears John Moore will be ready to rejoin the lineup Thursday when the Rangers take on the Avalanche in Denver.

McDonagh is 13th among defenseman in ice time, and has played in every one of the Rangers' games this season.

In This Article

Teams
Players