Rangers and Flyers tied at 1; Fourth line contributions; Stepan's leadership

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

There are plenty of ups and downs in hockey, especially when it comes to the seven-game series that are the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Rangers learned that firsthand on Sunday, and will now have until Tuesday to regroup to play Game 3. Here are your morning notes.

With a lead in Game 2, and a chance to take a commanding advantage heading back to Philadelphia, the Flyers mounted a furious comeback and took down the Rangers 4-2 on Sunday. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

Jason Akeson took a costly penalty on Thursday. Luckily for the Flyers, and the rookie, he had a short memory when coming into Game 2. [ESPN NY]

Since returning from Sochi, Derek Stepan has led by example for the Rangers. [Daily News]

The Flyers goaltending situation was called into question in a big way with Steve Mason unavailable through the series' first two games, but Ray Emery stepped up on Sunday in a big way. [ESPN NY]

Marc Staal had an injury last season that almost ended his career. Now, Staal is relishing the opportunity to be competing in playoff hockey. [Newsday]

It's been said, and said again, but Brian Boyle and the fourth line are contributing in a big way. [Rangers Rants]

In Game 1, the Rangers proved they don't need to be "big, gritty, or full of JAM" to be a team that's hard to play against. [Blueshirt Banter] [ESPN NY]