Rangers, McDonagh dodge bullet; Messier on Cup chances; Strength from shorthanded situations

Justin K. Aller

Today's New York Rangers notes.

With five games left in the regular season, the Rangers wrap up their Western Conference schedule Thursday night in Denver when they take on the Avalanche. And with the Maple Leafs hosting the Bruins also, New York could clinch a playoff with a win, and the Leafs not picking up two points, or a Rangers overtime loss, and a Leafs regulation loss. Pretty simply put though, if the Blueshirts continue to win, they'll not only clinch a berth, but secure much better postseason footing. Here are your morning notes.

A day after Ryan McDonagh was part of a scary looking collision that knocked him out of the Canucks games, it appears he and the Rangers might have dodged a serious bullet on the injury front. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [Daily News] [Rangers Rants] [Newsday]

And Alex Burrows, who delivered the hit on McDonagh, will not receive any supplemental discipline. [EPSN NY]

Alain Vigneault couldn't offer up much of a logistical explanation, but the Rangers have been pretty lethal when shorthanded. [NY Post]

The Rangers have had no problems finding success on the road, where they set a franchise record for wins in a single season with their Tuesday night victory. [The Record]

Not only does Mark Messier say he's not bitter about being passed over for the Rangers' head coaching job, he said he think this team has a great chance at winning the Stanley Cup. [NY Post]