New York Rangers News: Ryan McDonagh and Chris Kreider Skating This Morning

Elsa

Ryan McDonagh and Chris Kreider are taking part in today's morning skate, prior to take on the Carolina Hurricanes. Neither are expected to be in the lineup.

According to Dan Rosen of NHL.com, Ryan McDonagh and Chris Kreider are participating in today's morning skate for the New York Rangers. It was only a matter of time before McDonagh resumed skating, as he is still listed as day to day, but is expected to be back in time for the playoffs. McDonagh was taking light shots on net during the practice, and appeared as if he was just easing his way back into the routine.

Following practice, Alain Vigneault said that even if McDonagh is ready prior to the playoffs, there is a 50/50 chance that he would have him suit up. It's smart move regardless, as the Rangers have already booked their trip to the postseason, and there's no sense in risking further injury by playing him. A healthy McDonagh is critical to the Rangers success in the playoffs, and I honestly think AV is making the right call with that one.

As far as Kreider goes, it was encouraging to see him out on the ice, but at the same time, it's still way too early to anticipate a return date for the rookie. As Andrew Gross noted, Kreider was not wearing a glove on his surgically repaired hand, and was also wearing a black brace. Not to mention, he was only shooting with one hand, as he could barely grip the stick with his injured left hand.

The signs are encouraging though, as Kreider could potentially be ready to return in the playoffs given that he continues to heal according to the timetable. We'll see how it all plays out, but as it stands right now, I wouldn't expect Kreider back in the immediate future.

Thoughts?