Rangers-Pens preview; Blueshirts may have another gear; Staying disciplined

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sport

Today's New York Rangers notes.

It may not feel like the break was very long between series, and that's because it wasn't. The Rangers had Thursday to rest from their emotional Game 7 win against Philadelphia, and will resume postseason action Friday night at the CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh. That also means we don't have a ton of time to prime you on what to expect in round two, but we'll do our best. Here are your morning notes.

A full look at how the Rangers-Penguins Eastern Conference semifinals series might play out. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [Newsday]

And while the matchup isn't Penguins-Flyers, there's still intensity building ahead of this second round Metropolitan Division showdown. [ESPN NY]

The Rangers may have lucked out drawing the Penguins in the second round. [NY Post]

When it came to certain areas of their game, the Rangers certainly didn't have their best stuff in round one, yet still managed to advance. [NY Post]

Discipline, and keeping the Penguins power play unit off the ice will be key for the Rangers in their upcoming series, according to Ryan McDonagh. [NY Post]