New York Rangers Game Thread: Rangers vs Penguins, Game One

Justin K. Aller

Rangers and Penguins, Game One.

Here we are, Round Two of the 2014 NHL Playoffs. With the Flyers now in the rear-view mirror the Rangers now turn their focus on another division rival; the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, the game plan against the Penguins isn't all that different from the game plan the Rangers had against the Flyers.
  • Stay out of the box.
  • Instead of shutting down the Giroux line, the Rangers now have to shut down the Crosby and/or Malkin line.
  • Make sure to test a goalie that has very little confidence right now.

It is likely that the Rangers won't dominate the Penguins in the way that they dominated the Flyers at even strength but if the team finds another gear, stays disciplined, and if Hank gets hot anything can happen in this series.

Player to Watch: Derick Brassard

Brassard was the Rangers most valuable player in the 2013 NHL Playoffs but didn't have a great First Round in the Rangers/Flyers series. Brassard made a gorgeous pass to Benoit Pouliot in Game 7 that produced the game and series-winning goal. Look for the Brassard line to step up their game in Round Two and for Brassard to be looking and feeling a little bit healthier than he was in Round One after suffering a back injury in practice before Game 1 of the Rangers/Flyers series. The Rangers have more scoring depth than the Penguins so there is a lot of focus and depth on the Brassard line to produce and out-play the Penguins bottom six.

Enjoy Game One. Let's go Rangers.