Rangers focused on closing; Stepan still a question mark; Trades paying off

Al Bello

Today's New York Rangers notes.

In some respects, the Rangers have accomplished a lot, while in others, they've done absolutely nothing. After acquiring Martin St. Louis at the trade deadline, the expectation—per trading a second round pick that could of (and became) a first if New York reach the Eastern Conference Finals—was that the Blueshirts would be one of the last four teams standing. And when you get to this point, there's only one finish that is truly satisfying: a Stanley Cup. Here are your morning notes.

The Rangers have done well protecting leads during this postseason, and Sunday night was no different in a number of way. [Blueshirt Banter]

With the Stanley Cup Finals only one win away, the Rangers know there's no reason to get complacent. [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record]

Derek Stepan's status for Game 5? It's still an unknown, while both Stepan, and Oscar Lindberg traveled with the team to Montreal with J.T. Miller nursing an upper body injury. [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Rangers Rants] [Newsday]

The trades the Rangers made this season are paying major dividends as the playoffs drag on. [Daily News]