2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Chris Kreider progressing, set to visit doctor

Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sport

Help soon may be on the way for the Rangers in the form of injured winger Chris Kreider.

This Friday will mark six weeks since Chris Kreider underwent successful surgery on his left hand. While there was no definite timetable placed on Kreider's recovery, the forward has been making strides toward a return, frequently skating on his own, and now working on the more advanced steps like shooting and puck handling.

Today, we received another update, as Alain Vigneault revealed Kreider will be evaluated by a doctor on Tuesday. While Vigneault hedged his bet by still not committing to his status for this series, it's an encouraging sign for a Rangers team that has been shutout in its last two games.

Kreider of course, on paper, helps the Rangers with much that has plagued them in their two losses to the Penguins, and much of this postseason. Kreider was second on the team in the regular season with six power play goals, occupying the space in front of the net. His line with Derek Stepan and Rick Nash consistently generated offensive chances, something the Rangers have missed these last two games against Pittsburgh. And Kreider's speed seemed to blend in well with Vigneault's uptempo system.

We'll continue to update this story as more information becomes available, as it sounds as if there will be another Kreider update after his doctor's visit.