FanPost

Something ends, Something begins

My youngest son is graduating high school next week. In two months he leaves for college. Last week for Father's Day he got me an Eastern Conference Champions hat. He reminded me how we laughed about hats and shirts with that title on it and how meaningless they are. But then he said the thing that got me..."Dad, its really to commemorate the season. No matter whats happened, we've had a great time and its been a great memory". And that it has. So we watched the game together last night and sat in silence when it was over. Then I told him that even with the Giants and the Mets and the 1994 season this was the best and most fun season I have had following one of my teams. He agreed. We didn't have to say why, we knew. Because we went through it together. We went to some great games: Yankee Stadium, Game 7 against the Flyers, and though it was brutal: game 3 against the Kings.

This morning I am sad. Not so much because the Rangers lost, though that is a huge disappointment. I am sad that the season is over and I will never quite have another season to share with him that will be like this.

And while it hurts, I do realize that the bond we forged, which has always been there, is stronger because of what the Rangers did this season. It makes him leaving hurt that much more, but so grateful that the Rangers helped strengthen our bond.

So this season ends but a new season awaits me, my son, the Rangers, all of us. It promises to be filled with new thrills and challenges and victories. I can't wait!

Thank you NEW YORK RANGERS. For a truly wonderful and meaningful season.