New York Rangers News: Dominic Moore wins the Masterton Memorial Trophy

Harry How

Dominic Moore was awarded the Masterton Trophy at the NHL Awards in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

After returning hockey this year having taken off the lockout shortened 2012-2013 season, Dominic Moore was awarded the Masterton Memorial Trophy, as voted on by the Professional Hockey Writers Association. The award is given to the player who "best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey."

Toward the end of the 2012 season, Moore left the Sharks during their playoff run to take care of his wife, Katie. She was later diagnosed with a rare form of liver cancer, and died in 2013, leading Dominic to take off the following season. He returned this year to play in New York—the team that drafted him back in 2000—having played for nine other team in between. Moore skated in 73 games for New York this season, recording six goals and 12 assists.

Martin St. Louis is the other New York Ranger nominated for a trophy (the Lady Byng), which has yet to be announced.