New York Rangers News: Derek Dorsett Traded To Vancouver For A Draft Pick

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers started their draft day off with a trade that sends Derek Dorsett to the Vancouver Canucks.

According to Bob McKenzie of TSN, the New York Rangers have traded forward Derek Dorsett to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for a 2014 3rd-round draft pick. This move is definitely a surprising one, considering the amount of success the Rangers fourth line had during last season. But at the same time, Dorsett was an easy trade candidate mainly because of his cap hit, which came in at $1.63 million.

The Rangers will be in a tight squeeze for cap space this summer, so this move obviously makes a ton of sense from a salary cap standpoint. It also makes sense for one of two things to occur: either a young prospect makes the leap next season, or the Rangers turn to Daniel Carcillo for a second ride. Carcillo would obviously come in cheaper, and be able to provide similar output when compared to Dorsett

Dorsett played in 51 games last season for the Rangers, and put together a line of four goals, four assists, and 128 penalty minutes.

There will be a lot of moving parts for the Rangers over these next few weeks, so be sure to stay tuned! Who knows, maybe the Rangers even make a move back into the first round.