Daniel Carcillo suspension appeal: Bettman reduces ban to 6 games

Ed Mulholland-USA TODAY Sports

The NHL announced Tuesday that Daniel Carcillo suspension has been reduced to six games following an appeal.

On Friday, Daniel Carcillo had an appeal hearing with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman to fight to reduce a 10-game suspension Carcillo was handed for making contact with an official during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final. Today, the league announced Carcillo's ban has been reduced to six games.

Because he has already served three games during the remainder of the Eastern Conference Final, Carcillo will be eligible to return come Game 4 of the Stanley Cup round, a  game guaranteed to be played at Madison Square Garden.

Here's part of the NHL's release:

National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman today ruled that the suspension to New York Rangers forward Daniel Carcillo will be revised to six (6) games for his actions in violation of Rule 40.4 in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final in New York on May 22.

Carcillo had originally been assessed a suspension under Rule 40.3 for deliberately applying physical force to an official. A violation of that particular Rule requires a minimum suspension of "not less than ten (10) games."

After considering Carcillo's appeal during a hearing at the NHL's New York office on Friday, May 30, the Commissioner ruled that Carcillo's actions were more appropriately deemed a violation of Rule 40.4 for deliberately applying "physical force to an official for the sole purpose of getting free of such official during or immediately following an altercation." The Commissioner determined that as appropriately re-classified under Rule 40.4, and under the totality of the circumstances, a suspension of six (6) games was the proper penalty.