FanPost

The Rangers, The Rock, The Ring

The Stanley Cup Final is finally here. Two major cities, Los Angeles and New York, east versus west, let’s see who is the best. New York is solid defensively, led by the rock in net Henrik Lundqvist. LA is scoring like they still have Gretzky. Anze Kopitar hasn’t missed a beat; he is looking like Charlie Conway and his triple deke. Two great teams, two amazing city, fifty some players, all fighting for one cup.

Yeah yeah, offensive teams are fun to watch but, let’s go back to the basics. There is this old saying that defensive wins championships, don’t forget about that. Sure, Gaborik is scoring like he’s 25 again. Yes, Jeff Carter is playing like a man destined to win the cup but it is not going to be enough. Names Girardi, McDonagh, Staal, are defensemen for the Rangers that will slow the Kings down.

The Kings might be slowed down by the Rangers’ defense but they will still get their chances. The Kings then have to get to through Henrik Lundqvist, who is playing some of his best hockey of his career. Henrik, coming of a silver medal in Sochi, is determined to win the ultimate prize in the NHL. His eyes are on the Lord Stanley. His play can slow down the best offence, he is that good.

The Rangers won’t need much scoring but they will get enough. St. Louis has found his scoring touch again and he is finding the back on net. The Rangers offence will come from their great D. When they get their chances they have to capitalize. The lifting of the cup is just four wins away and the Rangers and they feel it in their fingertips. It’s the Stanley Cup Finals; you can’t hold anything back now.

I give all the respect in the world to the Kings but when you have a goalie playing the Lundqvist is, you can not pick against him. Trying to be a legend by tomorrow, Lundqvist will win the Conn Smythe trophy, (NHL Playoffs MVP) on his way to lifting his first Stanley Cup. Defensive wins championships, and we saw it again this year in the Super Bowl, when Seahawks dominated the Broncos. The trend won’t stop here. Rangers are going to bring Lord Stanley back to the Big Apple, for the first time since 1994.

Bick’s Pick: The New Rangers over the Los Angeles Kings in seven games.