Kings take Game 1; Five questions with the enemy; A statistical look at the Cup

Bruce Bennett

Today's New York Rangers notes.

This time of year, it's probably always healthy to periodically remind everyone to breathe. There will be more games, and the Rangers will—hopefully—commit fewer egregious turnovers in the defensive zone. (See: Los Angeles goals one and three last night.) Here are your morning notes.

Benoit Pouliot and Carl Hagelin scored early, but the Kings tallied the final three goals on Wednesday night to take Game 1. Here are some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

Five questions with our frenemies over at Jewels From the Crown. [Blueshirt Banter]

A very nice fancy stats look on why you shouldn't be counting out the Rangers. [Five ThirtyEight]

Some other thoughts on Wednesday night's game:

  • One of the better efforts from Rick Nash all postseason. If you want to know how Nash can influence a game in other ways than scoring, re-watch last night's game.
  • Carl Hagelin's motor never stops, and runs faster than anyone else's in the league.
  • The problem isn't just that Derek Stepan doesn't shoot on the power play, it's that he sits on the half-wall, and the other team knows he isn't going to shoot. That allows teams to blanket Brad Richards at the high-point, and Ryan McDonagh on the other slot.
  • Speaking of McDonagh, another ho-hum night for the 24-year-old. Thirty-one plus minutes of work, and really, nothing to critique.
  • Like many, I assumed Game 2 would mean the re-insertion of John Moore into the lineup. But Andrew Berkshire of Habs EOTP pointed this out to me about Rafael Diaz:

I think many would be surprised to not see Moore come Saturday night, but let's at least say this: depth wise, the Rangers again are lightyears ahead of season's past.

  • The Rangers will likely lose Anton Stralman this summer when they get priced out by some high bidders in free agency, and man, will his play be missed.