Kings in the driver's seat; Zuccarello stays hot; Richards needs to step up

Harry How

Today's New York Rangers notes.

The Rangers return to New York in a very familiar, yet very unfamiliar situation. It's not the first time this postseason the Blueshirts have fallen behind in a series by two games; that also happened in the second round when Pittsburgh took a 3-1 series edge. Of course, this franchise hasn't been in a Stanley Cup in two decades, and is trying to navigate its way through what comes with that. Monday is a new day, as the Rangers get their first crack at MSG ice in this Stanley Cup Final. Here are your morning notes.

In Game 2, the Rangers squandered another two goal lead (twice) before the Kings put them away in double overtime to sweep the opening games of the series at the Staples Center. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [Daily News] [The Record] [Newsday]

Leading the Rangers in regular season scoring? Well that wasn't an aberration for Mats Zuccarello, who has continued his strong offensive play in the postseason. [NY Post] [Daily News]

The Los Angeles Kings are in uncharted territory when it comes to games played in a single postseason. Will fatigue come back to haunt them? [ESPN NY]

Brad Richards has been touted as the Rangers unofficial captain, and a big-time leader all playoffs. But now, it's time for the buyout candidate to prove his mettle. [NY Post]

Chris Kreider nearly sent this series back to New York tied at one. But now, after just missing on a game-winner, Kreider is focused on the next task. [ESPN NY]