2014 NHL Free Agency: Rangers Land Dan Boyle And Mike Kostka

Perry Nelson-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers made their first free agent signing of the day by landing Dan Boyle on a two-year deal.

According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, the New York Rangers have signed defenseman Dan Boyle to a two-year deal worth $4.5 million annually. With the Rangers unable to lock up Anton Stralman prior to the market opening at 12:00 noon, they desperately needed to a find a way to replace the minutes that he soaked up.

Boyle has obviously lost a step over the last two years, and is on the wrong side of 30, but is still a very serviceable player in the right role. Dan Girardi and Ryan McDonagh will be locking down the top-pairing minutes for the Rangers, so Boyle slots in very nicely alongside Marc Staal on the second unit. He also vastly improves the Rangers power play, as Boyle still has a heavy shot from the point, which is something the Rangers have sorely been lacking for a while.

The Rangers were also in the market for a seventh defenseman to replace both Justin Falk and Raphael Diaz, and have signed Mike Kostka. According to TSN, the Rangers landed Kostka on a one-year deal that will pay him $600,000, which is a very underrated pickup.

The Rangers still have a bit of work to do on the forward front, so expect a few more moves today by Glen Sather.