2014 NHL Free Agency: Rangers Sign Cedrick Desjardins

Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers continued their depth signings this afternoon by inking Cedrick Desjardins to a contract.

According to an official team release, the New York Rangers have signed free agent goaltender Cedrick Desjardins to a contract. Official contract details were not released by the team, but this is expected to be yet another AHL signing. With the Rangers not sending a qualifying offer to Scott Stajcer a few days ago, the Hartford Wolfpack were in need of another goaltender.

Desjardins appeared in 35 games last season with the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League, where he posted a record of 9-18-4 record along with a 2.81 GAA, and .900 SV%.

The official press release from the team can be found below:

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the team has agreed to terms with free agent goaltender Cedrick Desjardins.

Desjardins, 28, spent this past season with the Syracuse Crunch of the American Hockey League (AHL). He appeared in 35 games with Syracuse, posting a 9-18-4 record, along with a 2.81 GAA, a .900 SV%, and two shutouts. Desjardins posted a 28-save shutout to record his 100th career AHL win on November 30 at Adirondack, and made his 200th career AHL appearance on December 28 vs. Norfolk. He also made one appearance with the Tampa Bay Lightning, making 11 saves in relief on February 6 vs. Toronto.

The 6-0, 192-pounder has appeared in six career NHL games with Tampa Bay, posting a 2-4 record, along with a 2.42 GAA and a .919 SV%. Desjardins stopped 27 of 28 shots he faced to record his first NHL win in his NHL debut on December 30, 2010 vs. Montreal. He has allowed two goals or fewer in four of his six career NHL contests.

Desjardins has also posted a 104-80-18 record in 219 career AHL games. He established AHL career-bests in appearances (47), wins (29), GAA (2.00), and shutouts (six) during the 2009-10 season with the Hamilton Bulldogs. In the 2013 Playoffs, Desjardins posted a 13-5 record, along with a 2.30 GAA, a .908 SV%, and three shutouts while helping Syracuse reach the Calder Cup Finals.

The Edmundston, New Brunswick native was originally signed by Montreal as an undrafted free agent on July 3, 2008.