Report: New York Rangers Sign Matthew Lombardi To Two Year Deal

Stephen Dunn

The Rangers have signed Matthew Lombardi to a two year deal.

According to reports the New York Rangers finally made their move for some more bottom-six depth, signing Matthew Lombardi to a two-year deal worth $1.6-million.

Lombardi spent last season in the Swiss league with Geneve Servette where he lead the league in scoring with 20 goals and 30 assists for 50 points in 46 games. Lombardi -- very much like Benoit Pouliot was last year -- is a higher risk player who represents a potential high reward.

His best NHL season came in 2009-2010 with the Phoenix Coyotes where he recorded 53 points (19 goals) in 78 games. After suffering a concussion the next season, Lombardi missed all but two games, then struggled in a return the next two years.

The Rangers are hoping that he's found his form, and his numbers in the Swiss league are encouraging to that point. He's a quicker player, which might make him dangerous on a line with a guy like Carl Hagelin, and he does have some penalty killing ability which should also be helpful. Especially if he can add some offense as well.

This signing is a little surprising, but it does show some real signs of encouragement towards the Rangers addressing their lack of depth thanks to some key players leaving in free agency. Especially if he can find his 40-point form again on Broadway.

Thoughts on this, guys?