NHL Free Agency: RFA Compensation Announced

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The NHL has announced RFA compensation.

Thanks to James Mirtle we now know what the compensation requiernments are for RFAs signed to offer sheets.

From Mirtle:

Couple of things to note:

- Compensation picks must be your own picks and they must be from next year. If you don't have your own first round pick but have another team's it doesn't matter, you're ineligible to make an offer.

- Because the Rangers do not have a first round pick next year, they would not be able to offer sheet a player in which they are required to give a first round pick back.

- Update for clarification: In the event you need to return multiple picks in the same round, they must be in consecutive years. So four 1st round picks must happen in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 if a deal was struck this summer. All those picks also must be your own.

Offer sheets are rare anyway, and for the players you would be interested in the Rangers wouldn't be able to play ball even if they wanted to. This is, however, something to keep in mind if the negotiations between John Moore, Chris Kreider, Mats Zuccarello or Derick Brassard drag on and another team wants to make a play for them.

Thoughts?