2014 NHL Free Agency: Rangers Add Nick Tarnasky With Another AHL Signing

USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers continued to stockpile players for the Hartford Wolfpack this afternoon, and added Nick Tarnasky.

According to an official team release, the New York Rangers have agreed to terms with free agent forward Nick Tarnasky. Tarnasky appeared in 76 games last season with the Hamilton Bulldogs (Montreal Canadiens farm team), where he put up 13 goals, 9 assists, 22 points, and 144 penalty minutes. It is expected that he will report immediately to the Hartford Wolfpack next season.

Contract details were not immediately released by the team, but the full press release can be found below:

RANGERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH FREE AGENT FORWARD NICK TARNASKY

NEW YORK, July 3, 2014 - New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the team has agreed to terms with free agent forward Nick Tarnasky.

Tarnasky, 29, skated in 76 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League (AHL) this past season, registering 13 goals and nine assists for 22 points, along with 144 penalty minutes. He established a career-high and led Hamilton in games played. Tarnasky also led Hamilton in penalty minutes and tied for fifth on the team in goals and power play goals (four). He skated in his 300th career AHL game on October 26 at Utica, and tallied his 100th career AHL point with an assist on December 28 at Utica.

The 6-2, 230-pounder has skated in 245 career NHL games over parts of five seasons with Tampa Bay, Nashville, and Florida, registering 13 goals and 17 assists for 30 points, along with 297 penalty minutes. Tarnasky made his NHL debut with the Lightning on October 20, 2005 at Atlanta, and tallied his first career NHL point with an assist on November 5, 2005 at Toronto. He skated in a career-high 80 games during the 2007-08 season, ranking fourth on Tampa Bay in hits (119) and tying for second among forwards on the team in blocked shots (45). Tarnasky has skated in six career NHL playoff games, all of which were with Tampa Bay during the 2007 Playoffs.

In 369 career AHL games, Tarnasky has recorded 60 goals and 51 assists for 111 points, along with 715 penalty minutes. During the 2012-13 season, he established AHL career-highs in goals (16) and points (26) with the Rochester Americans. Tarnasky also added one goal in three games with the Americans in the 2013 Playoffs.

The Rocky Mountain House, Alberta native was originally selected by Tampa Bay in the ninth round, 287th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.