FanPost

Blueline Banter...

This past season the Rangers had the deepest group of six defensemen on any Ranger team that I can remember. That talent and depth created opportunities that led us to our first Finals in 20 years. It allowed for our fast break offense with D outletting our forwards, optimizing their speed. The D was strong enough to handle the resulting odd man rushes against that resulted from the uptempo AV style. Slow Defenseman (Del Zotto) was jettisoned and Klein was a strong addition solidifying our third pair. (Great Trade !)

Outlook-

Anton Stralman had by far his best season ever. I think he benefitted greatly from a resurgent season as well from Marc Staal. Staal had games where he showed the pre concussion, pre injury level of play that made him one of the best shut down Dmen in the NHL IMO. I think that Dan Boyle will not be able to log the minutes Stralman did but he may not need to. I would expect Klein to move up and play with Staal a fair amount particularly in D zone or when protecting a lead. Throw in Boyle's PP efficiency and it could end up being a net positive...(could...)

Girardi took a beating on this site as the playoffs went along. He had some rough games but the Rangers were stepping up in class as they advanced. John Moore continues to impress and have a lot of upside. McDonagh needs no butter from me...one of the 5 best Dmen in league....(do I hear top 3 ?)

Look no further than the Canadiens and Bruins to see what happens when you don't have a deep defensemen corp. Subban and Chara wore down and were error prone due to overuse in their losing series.