Rangers Vs. Devils: Home Woes Continue In New Jersey

  • There are very few things better than angering Devils fans. This did wonders for me last night, and I think it was one of my wittier moments. /
  • That’s tongue in cheek, though. The Rangers played a hell of a game and were very unlucky to lose. 55-36 in shot attempts, 32-25 in scoring chances and 2.37 to 1.17 in expected goals. They lost, so they suck, but they played a really good game. People complaining about lack of effort, sparks and grit are missing the point.
  • As were the people complaining about the Rangers losing because they were out-muscled. The Rangers got nasty when they had to (Jimmy Vesey, Nick Holden and Brendan Smith all got into fights). And they dominated the game.
  • Holden got into a “fight.” I don’t mean that as an insult to him, I mean it as an insult to Miles Wood who got rocked with a clean hit and then went crazy. He chased Holden down and threw about ten punches before Holden knew what was happening. At least he got the instigator penalty, but what a dirty play all around.
  • The Rangers kid line scored again, this time Oscar Lindberg from a beautiful play and feed from Pavel Buchnevich. I watch Buchnevich play and wonder how he could ever sit for anyone, let alone for toughness. That line (with Vesey) was great all night. Lots of good things came from them and Vesey trailed the pack in possession at 55% (Buch was at 87% and Lindberg at 65%, no that Buch stat is not a typo).
  • Adam Clendening led all defenseman with an 81% corsi but he sucks defensivley so whatever.
  • Overtime was insane. I can’t believe it took me this long to get to it. The Rangers should have won the game about five times, but ended up losing because of a veteran mistake. I’m sorry, but Ryan McDonagh has to do better there. Both him and Michael Grabner are gassed and he knows no one is behind him. Skating into the slot is dangerous, shooting and missing the net from there is inexcusable.
  • Brady Skjei continues to be a bright light in a world of darkness. That might be aggressive but I care not (I finished the Dark Tower and ... don’t know how I feel about that ending). He had an assist and has 30 assists on the year. What a rookie season from him.
  • Mats Zuccarello recorded his 30th even strength assist tying Marian Gaborik’s record from 2010. Gaborik’s ASSIST record. I don’t think we appreciate his time in New York enough.
  • Rick Nash was as much of a monster Tuesday night as he has been for weeks. The different is he scored so he was actually good for once. -_-
  • Derek Stepan has reached Mika Zibanejad levels of can’t buy a goal. Hit the post twice. Twice!
  • Antti Raanta was a monster when he had to be, although there were long, long stretches where he probably forgot he was playing a hockey game due to his lack of activity.
  • Rangers play again tonight, not much time to think on this. /