Sean Day And Tim Gettinger Survive Round Of Cuts For USA In WJSS

The New York Rangers have three prospects who are currently in action for their respective teams in the World Junior Summer Showcase. Sean Day and Tim Gettinger are suiting up for the USA, with Lias Andersson centering for Sweden.

Today, we found out the two Americans would be continuing their journey.

Sean Day has been spoken about a lot of late, with the Rangers playing coy on Kevin Shattenkirk before July 1st and Jeff Gorton mentioning Day as someone who might make a push for an NHL spot. I don’t see that happening, but Day is still one of the most explosive prospects in the Rangers system when it comes to a potential ceiling (Adam ranked Day as the 5th best prospect in the Rangers’ system).

Day has been forced to play his off side a bit, and that’s cause some transitional issues for him. As an example:

However, there’s been a lot of good, too. He’s an effortless skater, and the below shows just how elite he is in that department. Honestly, he doesn’t even look like he’s trying, and he closes the gap and makes a great play.

He’s also been part of some fantastic breakouts for the USA, and has seen some top pair minutes.

Gettinger (who ranked 15th in Adam’s prospect report) has made the biggest strides, and scored two goals in his two games. From Adam:

Gettinger has done some really impressive work to stick around, here’s some highlights of him.

Overall, really good news for the Rangers. More when we know.