The Rangers fell to the Penguins 3-2 tonight in Pittsburgh. Not the best way to start the season, but there were some good signs. If it weren't for Marc-Andre Fleury making some outstanding saves the Rangers probably could have won this game. Regardless the Rangers hung in there with the defending champs. Good thing the Rangers play again tomorrow so we don't have to sit on this loss for long.
Let's take a look at the game:
- Henrik Lundqvist looked great. Can't blame him for any of the goals, his defense bailed on him on all three. He kept the Rangers in it the entire time.
- Marian Gaborik potted his first goal as a Ranger and took tons of shots. He looked like the game breaker that the Rangers were looking for.
- The power play. Okay so they didn't score but they moved the puck and took shots whenever there were lanes.
- Michael Del Zotto looked awesome for his first game as a 19 year old in the NHL. He was a presence in the offensive zone and he also played very solid defense. Don't forget that he was the QB for the power play the entie game.
- Chris Drury made a poor defensive play on the second Penguin goal but he was all over the ice and scored in the first. I liked his play.
- Chris Higgins, Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan and Vinny Prospal all turned in a solid outing tonight; with Dubinsky and Higgins recording an assist each. No complaints there.
- Marc Staal was his usual solid self, never any complaints with him.
- Enver Lisin looked good in the beginning of the game then kind of tailed off at the end. Overall though it was a good effort.
- Wade Redden played a solid game and was pretty good on D.
- Artem Anisimov was shakey but didn't really play enough to show it too much.
- The penalty kill looked okay but they gave the Penguins big boys too much space. Too many times I saw Malkin and Crosby with the puck without anyone pressuring them.
- Donald Brashear did what he was supposed to, fight. But it didn't change any momentum so he gets put here.
- You can't take anything away from the Penguins defensivley. They blocked at least 15 shots so the Rangers need to find more open lanes.
- The defense pinched a little too much for my liking. Torts might have to pull back the reigns a little bit.
- Matt Gilroy looked okay. Made a few good plays and a few bad plays. Can't complain about his effort though.
Click after the jump for more recap!
- Dan Girardi was out of place most of the game and looked gassed at times. I expect more from him.
- Aaron Voros went back to his old self. He wasn't skating hard and he was relativley usless.
- I don't care about Malkin but Crosby scored and I truly hate Crosby.
- The Rangers need to do a better job of defending the slot. Too many times they left the Penguins there all alone. Missed nets were the only thing keeping this game from getting out of hand late in the second.
- Michael Rozsival's poor play in the preseason carried over tonight. He was soley responsibly for the first and third Penguin goals and he was out of position all game. He turned the puck over countless times and by the second period Torts was decreasing his ice time steadily. He might be lucky to see 10 minutes tomorrow.
Rangers vs Penguins boxscore
Blueshirt Banter Rangers Star of the Game:
#30 / Goalie / New York Rangers
Mar 02, 1982