As we said earlier in the day, the Rangers needed a big performance from their goaltender today to help spark them. Henrik Lundqvist did his part, and Marian Gaborik made sure he left with a W, scoring the only goal in the Rangers 1-0 win over the Boston Bruins today at Madison Square Garden.
After two listless games against the Islanders and Wild, the Rangers played with emotion all day long. There was good hitting and goaltending from both sides. The Rangers needed a big win today, and they got one. Hopefully they can carry it over on the west coast swing that begins Tuesday night in Vancouver.
NEW YORK RANGERS POST-GAME NOTES AND QUOTES
November 1, 2009 - New York Rangers 1, Boston Bruins 0 (Game #15, Home #8)
- The Rangers defeated the Boston Bruins, 1-0, in front of a sold-out crowd (18,200) at Madison Square Garden; the last time the Rangers won 1-0 was October 17, 2008, vs. Toronto.
- New York have sold out 164 consecutive regular season games, dating back to November 5, 2005 against New Jersey; the last regular season non-sellout was October 31, 2005 vs. Montreal (17,697); including the playoffs, the Rangers sellout streak is now at 178 games.
- The Blueshirts improved to 9-5-1 overall, including a 6-2-0 mark at home; the Rangers are 14-3-0 in their last 17 regular season games at MSG, and have out-scored their opponents, 60-32, during the stretch.
- New York is now 34-16-9 against Original Six opponents since the 2005-06 season, including a 12-3-2 mark against Boston over the span.
- Henrik Lundqvist turned aside all 29 shots faced to record his first shutout of the season and 21st of his career; the win is his 150th career NHL win.
- Marian Gaborik tallied the game's only goal at 15:51 of the second period and logged 21:37 of icetime in his return to the lineup after missing the previous two contests; he has recorded a point in 12 of 13 games this season, including five goals and seven points in his last four contests, and now ranks second in the league in goals and is tied for third in points.
- Vinny Prospal recorded the primary assist on Gaborik's game-winning goal, and has registered seven points in the last six games; he is now tied for second in the league in assists and ranks sixth in points.
- Rangers defenseman Marc Staal collected one assist in 22:23 of icetime, and has recorded a point in back-to-back games (one goal and one assist).
- The Rangers practice schedule for tomorrow, November 2, is 1:30 p.m. at General Motors Place in Vancouver.
- The Rangers return to action on Tuesday, November 3, when they will face-off against the Vancouver Canucks at General Motors Place (10:00 p.m.), in the first game of a three-game Western Canadian road trip; the game will be televised live on MSG Network and can be heard on 1050 ESPN Radio.
Post game quotes after the jump......
John Tortorella on the team's effort...
"That is a tough team to play against - the way they play, how strong defensively they are, how they play in the neutral zone. It needed to be a patient, grinding type game. I think if you open yourself up, that is when they counter and that is when they become successful. I thought our decision making was good. I thought our grinding was better. Cally (Ryan Callahan)...I thought (Christopher) Higgins had a good game in the grinding part of it. (Ales) Kotalik, as far as being strong on the puck. We found a way to score a goal and found a way to win."
Marian Gaborik on Vinny Prospal...
"His work ethic is unbelievable. He is a great playmaker. He goes there and works hard. He sees the ice, you can see that every night out there. He is looking to pass and he did tonight."
Henrik Lundqvist on today's game...
"It was a fun game. This is what I was used to last year...low scoring and tight. I got a little spoiled this year. We have been scoring a lot. The feeling was one mistake could cost us big time. I like that feeling. I have to be on my toes all of the time."
Vinny Prospal on tonight's game...
"Obviously Hank (Henrik Lundqvist) was great for us in net. He made some huge saves throughout the whole hockey game. We were able to score the goal and it proved to be the winner. They are a really good hockey team. They have everything that a hockey team needs. They have the playmakers. They have the goal scorers and they have a great goalie as well."
Bruins vs Rangers boxscore
Bruins vs Rangers coverage