clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Rangers News and Notes: Pregame

New, comments
Getty Images

So, as we prepare for what will hopefully be the first of three "win or go home" games for the Rangers, Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants has the possibilities:

Per research presented on NHL.com, in NHL playoff history, teams have trailed a best-of-seven series by 3-1 229 times. Twenty times, that team has come back to win the series, or 8.7 percent of the time.

But it has been done with more frequency lately. In fact, it happened twice last season, as the Capitals blew their first-round series to the Canadiens and the Flyers, en route to the Stanley Cup final, actually erased a 3-0 series deficit to the Bruins. And, of course, in 2009, the Capitals rallied from a 3-1 deficit against the Rangers in the first round. The Wild, with Marian Gaborik, did it twice in 2003.

Rangers are just 1 for 14 on the power play in this series, a pitiful 7.1%. Ultimately, this is going to be the Rangers downfall in this series if they don't pull of the miracle. Just think of how much different this series could look if they were 3 or 4 of 14.

Oddly enough, there has yet to be a first period goal in this series.

Great quote from Tortorella yesterday:

"I’m looking at our next game and my gut tells me we’ll be ready to play, I just have a really good feeling," Tortorella added. "It took me until yesterday afternoon to swallow the loss because that was a tough one. It was one of the tougher ones I’ve lived through. But once you swallow it and you puke it out, I just have such a good feeling. I just feel good about our club."

"Puke it out".....probably good advice for all of us.

No lineup changes expected today.

You guys know I am always the eternal optimist when it comes to this team. History tells me one of two things will happen today:

1. The Rangers will find a way to win, and take it home for Game 6.

2. The Rangers get blown out of the building.

That's just the way it usually goes in sports. I'd like to think they are strong enough to accomplish number one, but I do fear them number two-ing all over us.

I probably won't be in the game thread today, my son is here with me today. We will have Blueshirt Banter Radio at 7 PM EST. See you guys then.