2012 NHL Lockout: Mediation Process Carries On For Second Straight Day

After meeting for nearly six hours yesterday afternoon, the National Hockey League and National Hockey League Players' Association are back for another extended session.

The National Hockey League and National Hockey League Players' Association will be back for their second straight day, as they started the mediation process yesterday afternoon. Both sides met with mediators for nearly six hours in an attempt to bridge the ever-long gap between the two sides, and will continue the process today, starting at 11:00 AM.

We've also hit our second media blackout during this 75 day lockout, as both sides have gone quiet as far as progress or lack of during the meetings. That's nothing new though, the mediation process usually has has both sides tight-lipped. Donald Fehr released a very short, and vague statements regarding the yesterday's meeting.

"A small group of NHLPA staff and players met today with two experienced FMCS mediators. We expect that these discussions will resume on Thursday."

That's all we heard so far, and that's likely all we are going to hear until the mediation process is completed. At this critical point in the process though, sometimes a lack of news could be a good thing for both sides. The less info that leaks to the media, the less rumors that are started, and so on.

Until then though, we just have to sit tight and hope to hear something positive over the next couple of days. But to be honest, neither side has left us with anymore room for optimism.