2012 NHL Lockout: NHL Set To Cancel Winter Classic This Afternoon

As expected, Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League will announce the cancellation of the 2013 Bridgestone Winter Classic this afternoon. The game was set to feature the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings which would be played at the University of Michigan on January 1st. This cancellation is added onto the hundreds of regular season games that have already be thrown out the window by the NHL.

With the latest casualty being the NHL’s big money maker, the league will now lose out on millions of revenue that they game would have brought in, in addition to it’s surrounding events such as HBO’s 24/7. While there are still some people who believe a partial season can be salvaged, there is almost no hope with the cancellation of the league’s biggest event of the year. With the league and players fighting over their share of hockey-related revenue, there won’t be that much money on the line to even split.

While both deputy commissioner Bill Daly, and special counsel Steve Fehr exchanged dialogues over the past couple of days, and plan to resume talks in “the near future”, there isn’t much to look forward too. I guess we’ll see if there is any movement in the coming days. I wouldn’t count on it though.

Talking Points