2012 Prospect Camp: Rangers Come To Terms With Prospect Kyle Jean

Following the 2012 Prospect Development Camp which concluded two weeks ago, the New York Rangers announced they have signed free agent forward, Kyle Jean. Jean spent his last two seasons playing for the Lake Superior State Lakers, of the Central Collegiate Hockey Associations (CCHA).

Over the last two seasons, Jean put up a total of 13 goals, 25 assists, for a total of 38 points in 77 total games. During the prospect camp, Jean was able to put up a goal in each of the four scrimmages, and stood out among the other prospects.

According to Andrew Gross, Rangers amateur scout Larry Bernard followed him throughout the season at Lake Superior, and extended him an invite to this year's prospect camp. Jean was ecstatic after earning his first professional contract, and had this to say:

"I feel good. I play college hockey but this game is different. College hockey is run and gun and kill somebody. Here, you make more smart plays. I like that. I think I need a couple of more years in college for development but I don’t know, we’ll see.""

Follow after the jump for the official press release

RANGERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH KYLE JEAN

NEW YORK, July 5, 2012 – New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with free agent forward Kyle Jean.

Jean, 22, skated in 39 games with the Lake Superior State University Lakers of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) last season, registering 12 goals and 12 assists for 24 points, along with 54 penalty minutes. He established career-highs in games played, goals, points, and penalty minutes. Jean ranked second on the Lakers in goals, fourth in points, sixth in assists, and second in penalty minutes. He also led the team in shots on goal (107), tied for second in plus/minus rating (plus-three) and fifth in power play goals (two). In addition, Jean tied for 12th in the CCHA with 10 goals scored in conference play.

The 6-4, 215-pounder skated in 77 career games in his two-year collegiate career with Lake Superior State University, registering 13 goals and 25 assists for 38 points, along with 99 penalty minutes. In 2010-11, Jean led all LSSU rookies with a career-high, 13 assists. He also led LSSU freshmen and tied for 14th in the CCHA among first-year players in scoring with 14 points, and ranked second on the team overall with a plus-two rating. Jean recorded his first collegiate multi-point effort with two assists in a 4-3 victory at Notre Dame in the second round of the CCHA Playoffs that season. He tallied his first collegiate point with an assist on the game-winning goal on October 22, 2010, against Colgate, and notched his first career goal on November 6, 2010, against Northern Michigan.

The Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan recently participated in the Rangers Prospect Development Camp from June 25-29.