clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Defense Clicking; Jesper Fast Injury Update; Vigneault On Malhotra

New, comments

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Bruce Bennett

The Rangers played once over the weekend, defeating the Carolina Hurricanes 5-1. The game's goals came off the sticks of two players, as Derek Stepan recorded his second career hat trick, and Carl Hagelin continued to play well in his return from injury, tallying two more goals. It was the first time two Rangers recorded multiple goals in the same game since the Rangers beat the Flyers 4-2 on March 5, 2013. (Interesting note on that game: the goal scorers were Rick Nash and Ryan Callahan, which really again shows how key these guys are. Also, that was the game Marc Staal was injured. We've come a long way.) But more to the point, Saturday's win continued to show the Rangers are turning things around. Here are your morning notes.

Earlier this year, we broke down the defensive change the Rangers are going through. Now, it finally looks like the new system is clicking. [New York Post]

A three-game winning streak later, is it time to stop panicking? [Blueshirt Banter]

Saturday night, after a low hit by Ryan Murphy that undercut Derek Dorsett, Alain Vigneault called the play 'very, very dangerous.' [ESPN NY]

Now back in his natural center position, Brad Richads is a happy customer. [NY Post]

We've seen glimpses of it this year, but Vigneault is encouraged by Pouliot's flashes of skill. [Blueshirts Blog]

Playing against the Rangers and Vigneault, Manny Malhotra's return to the ice brought mixed feelings. [NY Post]

In minor league news, Jesper Fast, back with the Wolfpack, sprained his ankle Saturday night, and needed to be helped off the ice. [Blueshirts Blog]