clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

New York Rangers Prospects: Thomas Spelling Signs In Denmark

Thomas Spelling, the New York Rangers 5th-round selection in the 2012 NHL Draft, has signed a one year deal with SønderjyskE in Denmark.

We have no pictures of Thomas Spelling, so here's one of Brady Skjei
We have no pictures of Thomas Spelling, so here's one of Brady Skjei
Bruce Bennett

New York Rangers prospect Thomas Spelling has signed with Danish side SønderjyskE for the 2013-14 season.

SønderjyskE Sports Chief Soren Stockfisch spoke to HockeyWorld.dk about the move today:

"No doubt Thomas was a highly sought-after player whom many clubs would have liked in their squad, so we are proud that we succeeded. He is a very exciting player that our fans can look forward to seeing."

Spelling's hometown side and former club Herning compete in the same league as SønderjyskE, so familiarity has perhaps played a part in his decision to return to Denmark after one season in Sweden with SHL side Rögle.

But it is a disappointing development.

As with fellow European prospect Calle Andersson, Spelling's real need for 2013-14 is minutes. Despite success at J20 level for Rögle (49 points in 36 games), Spelling failed to make an impression on their SHL roster last season. After a brief loan spell with Oskarshamn in Allsvenskan, both Rögle and Spelling agreed to terminate his contract as the forward sought ice-time elsewhere.

Obviously it is tough to pick things apart without having all the information to hand, but at face value a move back to Denmark must be seen as a questionable one at this stage of Spelling's development. He will get the minutes he needs at SønderjyskE, but the quality of opposition is not ideal for a 20-year old looking to build on excellent junior numbers.