clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Roster Cuts, Rick Nash Sits, And Brad Richards' Role

New, comments

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Ethan Miller

Welcome to morning notes, a new post here on Blueshirt Banter where we'll be giving you a roundup of the Rangers and major NHL news from the day before. It was a busy weekend for the Rangers, and here's the major stories from around the team:

Final roster cuts were made yesterday, and one of the biggest surprises was the omission of Chris Kreider, who will start the season in Hartford. [Blueshirt Banter]

Rick Nash didn't practice yesterday with a sore foot after blocking a shot in the Rangers preseason finale against the Kings. [Rangers Rant]

Ryan Callahan took Nash's slot on the top line in practice, and has been cleared for contact, but is not expected to be ready for Thursday night's opener in Phoenix. [SB Nation]

All indications point toward Carl Hagelin starting the season on long-term Injured reserve, meaning he'll miss the first 10 games of the season. [Roto World]

In a move that might come as a surprise to some, Brad Richards will play the wing on the top-line when the season opens alongside Derek Stepan and Nash. [Rangers Rant]

The three biggest questions surrounding the Rangers as we inch closer to the regular season. [Blueshirt Banter]

A Sean Avery sighting... sort of. The ex-Rangers forward ran into a little customs issue at Newark Airport. [New York Post]