2014 NHL Draft: Potential Targets For The New York Rangers

Here's a quick look at a few players the Rangers might be targeting in the draft.

Editor's note: We're doing draft coverage a little differently this year. Usually we have big, beautiful previews for all the players the Rangers might be targeting; and we're usually also involved in the SB Nation NHL Mock Draft. With the Rangers not having a first round pick this year, we were not permitted to participate in the latter. And with the Rangers season lasting as long as it did, we really can't go as in depth as we would like to with draft coverage. We simply don't have the time.

Instead we're going to take a quick look at some of the prospects who might be on the big board when the Rangers get their turn to make their first pick in the second round. Here's Alex's view on these players:

Andreas Englund, D, Djurgården Jr.

Quick Scouting Report: 18-year old Djurgården defenseman Andreas Englund has great natural size at 6'3" and 190lbs. He's a good, mobile skater and excels at moving the puck up ice. Englund's outlet pass is a real strength, as is his composure, compete level and positioning on either side of the blue line. A very solid pick if available.

Stats:

Gustav Forsling, D, Linköping Jr.

Quick Scouting Report: Gustav Forsling is a comparatively undersized defensive option with excellent offensive instincts and a big left-hand shot. Forsling is at his best with the puck on his stick and his cannon release will appeal to teams in the late-second and early-third round.

Forsling registered a solid 18 points in 44 games for Linköping's J20 side last season while acting as alternate captain for a second consecutive year. His offensive game is his strength, though by no means does he neglect his own blue line.

Stats:

Emil Johansson, D, HV71 Jr.

Quick Scouting Report: HV71 defenseman Emil Johansson lacks the comparative size that some other European blueliners have this year, but his puck-moving game and smart play make him a solid option if he slips to the back-end of Round 2 this weekend.

Johansson is a good skater, reliable inside his own blue line and adept at reading the play. What he lacks in size he makes up for in smarts.

Stats:

Anton Karlsson, RW, Frölunda Jr.

Quick Scouting Report: Frölunda winger Anton Karlsson is projected to go somewhere in the early-to-mid second round, but he's an obvious forward option for the Rangers should he slide a little.

Karlsson, a former captain for Sweden at both Under-17 and Under-18 level, has an outstanding compete level. He uses his 6'2", 200lb frame effectively and plays both ends of the ice well. Leadership is a real strength, as is his playmaking.

Stats:

Oskar Lindblom, LW, Brynäs Jr.

Quick Scouting Report: 6'2" Brynäs winger Oskar Lindblom is a wiry forward with an excellent two-way game. He isn't flashy per se, but his work ethic and willingness to compete for the puck are attractive assets. He's gritty, loves to drive the net and can be extremely difficult to move.

Lindblom tallied 33 points in 43 games as alternate captain for Brynas' J20 team during 2013-14, while also posting 21 points in 20 games with Sweden at Under-18 level.

Stats:

Vladislav Kamenev, LW, Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

Quick Scouting Report: 17-year old Russian left-wing Vladislav Kamenev spent a good amount of time in the KHL with Metallurg Magnitogorsk last season and he‘ll do so again next year.

His biggest strength is his 6'2", 200lb frame which he uses well to protect the puck and win one-on-one battles. Kamenev has good on-ice vision and is an adept playmaker with a strong shot.

Like Anton Karlsson, Kamenev should be off the board midway through the second round, but we've seen talented Russian players slip before.

Stats: