clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Rangers sink sharks; Hayes nets first goal; Giradi and Klein day-to-day

New, comments

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Andy Marlin-USA TODAY Sports

Note: I'm tweaking Monday notes again, slightly. I realized it was weird to only judge the three starts based on what had happened since Friday. So now they'll be ranked by the entire previous week's worth hockey. Same applies for the big highlight. Those are the only changes.

Three Stars of the Week

Number three: Kevin Hayes Even before Hayes scored his first career goal Sunday, he had been one of the better Rangers forwards and skaters for a few games. He's becoming more comfortable by the night, and his size and ability to wall off the opposition makes him a natural fit to play with two other big bodies.

Number two: Henrik Lundqvist The King got off to a rough start this week, letting in six to the Islanders on Tuesday, but rebounded strong to earn the Rangers their first home win on Thursday, and then posted his first shutout Sunday night, recording 33 saves. Lundqvist has stopped 62 of the last 63 shots he's faced, a pretty welcome sight.

Number oneRick Nash This guy will be the Rangers number one star until he decides someone else is allowed to be it. Nash scored three goals in three games this week, and while he didn't find the back of the net Thursday against the Hurricanes, all he did that game was bank the shootout winner. It's Rick Nash's world, we're just all living in it.

What You Missed

Kevin Hayes shoots, Kevin Hayes scores. Congrats to the rookie on his first career NHL goal.

And now for some links!

The Rangers got back on track with a sloppy win versus the Hurricanes on Thursday, and kept that momentum going Sunday night, as the team put together its most complete effort of the season, handing the Sharks their first regulation loss of the season. Some recaps. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [The Record] [Daily News] [ESPN NY] [Newsday] [Blueshirts United]

One late note from that game: Dan Girardi and Kevin Klein both received stitches after being hit by pucks, and are considered day-to-day. [Ranger Rants]

If you're someone who enjoys GIFs over videos, here's a GIF of that Hayes goal. [Blueshirt Banter]

While we're on animated highlights from this weekend, Pavel Buchnevich scored again in the KHL (obviously). [Blueshirt Banter]

On Friday, the Rangers sent down both J.T. Miller and Jesper Fast, while recalling Chris Mueller. [Blueshirt Banter] [Ranger Rants] [Blueshirts Blog] [Newsday]

Wait, Mueller? Who's that? Mueller? Mueller?!?! [Blueshirt Banter]

Those moves could mean that Anthony Duclair could soon be back in Quebec. [Blueshirt Banter]

And for Alain Vigneault, the wait continues when it comes to Miller, the 21-year-old who has yet to truly crack the Rangers NHL roster. [NY Post]

The lineup the Rangers used Sunday night was its sixth different one in six games, as Vigneault continues to try to find what works while dealign with key injuries. [NY Post]

Meanwhile, the Rangers had plenty of questions at the center position (especially when these stories were run). So they turned to Hayes, and now Mueller. [NY Post] [The Record]

Our new guy Nick breaks down some fancy stats for you, and explains why math matters. [Blueshirt Banter]