clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rangers Vs. Flyers Recap: Cam Talbot Backstops Rangers 2-0 Win Over Flyers

The New York Rangers defeated the Philadelphia Flyers tonight by a score of 2-0, and Cam Talbot came away with his fourth career shutout.

Elsa/Getty Images

The New York Rangers finally snapped their three game losing streak tonight as they defeated the Philadelphia Flyers by a score of 2-0. Cam Talbot also came away with his fourth career shutout, as he backstopped the Rangers win, and shutdown the Flyers all night long. What's also encouraging is that the Rangers actually came out in this game, and put together a full 60 minute effort after dropping their last three games. The Rangers effort was certainly questioned last game as they fell to the Tampa Bay Lightning 5-1, and they responded accordingly tonight.

Right from the opening puck drop, the Rangers went to work on Philadelphia's defensemen, and if not for Steve Mason, this game could have easily been 6-0 by the end of night. The Rangers were able to break through with the first of this game, as Kevin Klein ripped a shot past Steve Mason just five minutes into the first period.

Carl Hagelin made a great play just prior to the goal as he dug the puck out from the side of the net, and was able to get the pass off to Klein despite being tied up by Braydon Coburn. Klein didn't waste much time in taking advantage of the sweet dish from Hagelin, and snapped the puck over the glove hand of Mason to make it 1-0.

The Rangers kept marching ahead for the rest of the first period, but were unable to solve Mason as he, like Talbot, stood on his head all night long. Finally, after numerous threatening chances in close, the Rangers broke through with their second goal a little under halfway through the second period.

Derek Stepan, Martin St. Louis, and Rick Nash connected in close which gave Nash his 13th goal of the season, which is good for second among the entire NHL. The excellent vision of Stepan and St. Louis created this entire goal, as Stepan found St. Louis along the goal line, and then it was St. Louis who quickly dished it off to Nash who was wide open in front. At that point, Nash basically had an empty net to tap the puck into, and made it count as the Rangers took a commanding 2-0 lead.

That would actually end the scoring for the night, as Cam Talbot went to work in the third period, and shutout the Flyers for one final period. The Flyers wound up yanking Mason with a little under four minutes remaining, which set up a 6-on-5 advantage for the rest of regulation. Unlike the rest of the game, the Flyers controlled the puck for the entire three and a half minutes, but unfortunately for them, Cam Talbot was standing in the way at the other end. Talbot wound up turning away all 13 shots in the final frame, which led the Rangers to their first win in their last four games.

It couldn't have come at a better time too, as the Rangers are scheduled to travel upstate for a meeting with the Buffalo Sabres this upcoming Friday.