clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

2014 NHL Free Agency: Contract Talks With Stralman Not Going As Expected

The New York Rangers have had talks with UFA defenseman Anton Stralman, and apparently those talks are not going so well.

Bruce Bennett

According to Renaud Lavoie, the New York Rangers are not making much progress in contract talks with impending UFA defenseman Anton Stralman. It was noted that these next few days will be crucial, otherwise Stralman is expected to hit the July 1st market. After the amount of success Stralman had in this previous playoff run with the Rangers, it was expected that he was going to get a hefty pay raise no matter where he landed.

Back in March the Rangers reportedly offered Stralman a 3-year deal deal worth $9 million total, which was "rejected" by Stralman and his camp. With the information that came out today regarding the Rangers interest in Dan Boyle, you have to assume Glen Sather is compiling backup plans in the event that Stralman walks. Boyle would be a decent replacement on the short-term, and help the Rangers on their power play, but it may come at a high price as well.

We will continue to update more as we hear it.