clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Rangers sign Malone; NHL institutes rule changes

New, comments

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Justin K. Aller

Happy Friday, folks. I want to start out by thanking anyone who left positive feedback on the story I posted yesterday. I've been at SB Nation for a year, and when I started, there's no way I would have shared that kind of personal account. But communities—and specifically this community—have really welcomed me, which I very much appreciate.

On to the good stuff, and more specifically, the Traverse City tournament, which begins today. The Rangers and Stars face off at 7 p.m. tonight. The game will not be airing on MSG, and I'm not exactly quite sure if and where it can be viewed, although I know the team will be posting highlights. More info can be found here on the tournament, including a full roster (sans Kevin Hayes) and the schedule.

Now, your morning notes.

The big news on Thursday was the Rangers signing on Ryan Malone, who's getting his second chance in a big way in New York. [Blueshirt Banter] [NY Post] [ESPN NY] [The Record] [Daily News] [Newsday]

The NHL announced a few rule changes for the upcoming season. Nothing major, but certainly worth your time to simply look over. [SB Nation] [Ranger Rants] [Blueshirts Blog]

On Wednesday, we learned the 2015 Winter Classic will officially be held in Nationals Park. On Thursday, a bit of bad news: HBO will not be producing a new season of 24/7. Why even hold the thing now? [SB Nation]

Meant to post this yesterday, but in case any of you didn't hear, American hockey legend Bob Suter (father of Ryan) died unexpectedly on Tuesday. I had the pleasure of interviewing Bob in January. Here's what he taught me. [SB Nation]