2015 NHL Playoffs: 4/21 Open Thread

Tonight three different teams are playing to get their third win of their first round series.

Today we have four playoff hockey games to get us through our Tuesday night, three of which have the potential to be the second to last game in their respective series. Tonight the Islanders, Blackhawks, and Flames can all take a 3-1 series lead and put themselves just one win away from advancing past the first round of the 2015 NHL Playoffs.

Lightning at the Red Wings, 7:00 PM. Series is tied up, 1-1. NBCSN.
Capitals at the Islanders, 7:30 PM. The Islanders lead 2-1. USA. MSG+.
Predators at the Blackhawks, 9:30 PM. The Blackhawks lead 2-1. NBCSN.
Canucks at the Flames, 10:00 PM. The Flames lead the series 2-1. USA.

NHL.com is calling tonight's Islanders and Caps game an opportunity for John Tavares and the Islanders to put a "stranglehold" on the series. We all know how infrequently teams come back from 3-1 deficits and tonight three separate teams will find themselves trying to prevent that from happening. Oddly enough, all three of those teams will be wearing their road whites tonight, which means that they were the higher seeded team despite finding themselves just two losses away from playing golf. A lot of things, including regular season records, go out the window in the playoffs. Clearly, this year is no exception.

What is the biggest surprise from the 2015 Playoffs thus far in your opinion?

For me it's hard to argue against the Calgary Flames finding a way to take a 2-1 series lead heading into Game Four which they will play in front of a zealous home crowd. I also find myself feeling somehow sorry for the Winnipeg Jets for being down 3-0 to the Anaheim Ducks. Only the Winnipeg Jets and the Ottawa Senators are winless and in danger of being swept in the first round. It must be rough for those fan bases right now, but at least they aren't Arizona Coyotes fans who were absolutely screwed by the Draft Lottery. Nope, no Eichel for you.

Mike's Game to Watch:

I know I'm going to be watching Game Three of the Caps and Isles series, and I'm pretty sure you guys are going to be doing the same. The Islanders haven't made it past the Conference Quarterfinals since 1993 when they made it all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals but fell to the Habs in 5 games. Tonight the Isles are hoping to play their last home game of the Conference Quarterfinals and set themselves up for a 4-1 series victory over Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals. Of course, if the Rangers get past the Penguins they will be going up against the victor of the other Metropolitan Division match-up. So, naturally, we are all rooting for it to go to 7 games, with all of the remaining games having at least two overtimes.

Enjoy tonight's games and please be decent and courteous to one another.

Let's go hockey, let's go Rangers!