clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rangers Vs. Flyers Recap: Flyers Defeat Rangers 3-2 In The Shootout

After an entertaining game between the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers, this game was decided in a shootout.....

Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

The New York Rangers had their two game winning streak snapped at the hands of the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, and were defeated 3-2 in the shootout. Henrik Lundqvist was absolutely locked in once again, and it's becoming an every game occurrence for him to put up some ridiculous, highlight reel save. Unfortunately, the Rangers weren't able to step up for their goaltender tonight as they were hemmed in their own zone for a majority of the third period.

Despite staying fairly even with the Flyers throughout the first period, Philadelphia found a way to break through with a goal coming from Mark Streit. Ryan McDonagh had a shift to forget just prior to the goal as two failed clearing attempts allowed Wayne Simmonds to come away with the puck. Simmonds fed a pass out to Streit, which was absolutely torched, and the shot eluded Lundqvist to give Philly a 1-0 lead.

The Rangers were able to get right back into the game after Streit gave the Flyers the lead, and J.T. Miller knotted things up just over two minutes later. Keith Yandle did an excellent job of keeping the puck in after Steve Mason kicked out the rebound, and put a no-look pass over towards Miller on the far post. Mason wound up getting a slight piece of the pass by Yandle, but Miller swatted the puck out of mid-air and beat Mason over the pad.

With a strong ending to the first period, the Rangers looked to build on their momentum but the Flyers decided to turn it up a notch. Just two minutes into the middle frame, Scott Laughton put the Flyers back up on top after a horrific turnover by Marc Staal along the boards. Laughton was able to collect the loose puck, moved into the high slot, and sniped one past Lundqvist for the 2-1 lead.

Just like last time, the Rangers responded extremely quick after giving up the go-ahead goal and Derick Brassard made this a 2-2 game. Brassard tossed a booming slapshot on net from the blue line, and it caught Ryan White's stick on the way in to beat Steve Mason over the glove. The goal also came on the power play, which gave the Rangers their third PPG in as many games.

Neither team was able to find the scorecard in the third period, but the Rangers were extremely lucky to send this game to overtime after being outplayed. A lot of that is thanks to Henrik Lundqvist, who stood on his head in the final 20 minutes to get the Rangers at least a point. After an ridiculously eventful 3-on-3 overtime period, the Rangers and Flyers would decide this game in the shootout.

Watch the full shootout here

Both Sam Gagner and Claude Giroux scored on their opportunities, while Derek Stepan gave the Rangers life in the second round. Henrik Lundqvist gave Dominic Moore a chance to tie the game up after denying Wayne Simmonds, but Moore was unable to beat Mason through the legs. While the Rangers played extremely poor in the third period, they did find a way to snag a point.

There will be a quick turnaround as the Rangers head back to New York tonight, and will meet up with the Calgary Flames tomorrow night at Madison Square Garden.