New York Rangers News: Kevin Hayes To Be Healthy Scratched

Kevin Hayes gets the Alain Vigneault guillotine.

Alain Vigneault confirmed Kevin Hayes would be a healthy scratch for tomorrow's matchup against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

I have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand it makes sense. Hayes has struggled without the puck, can't seem to find much offense and is generally struggling. It's not the worst thing in the world to take a young player like that, have them sit for a game or two and try to get their bearings. Pulling them aside in practice and working on the bigger issues while they don't have a game to worry about that night might do him some good. Fine.

My issue with this move is how would you feel, if you were Hayes and you're sitting when Tanner Glass could do no wrong last year? Or how Dan Girardi and Marc Staal (who have been much bigger problems) continue to get lengths of leash let out for them every time they push it to the end of the rope?

If Vigneault wants to give tough love to this team that's fine. It might be long overdue, to be honest. But if it comes to some players and not others? That's a problem.

And maybe I'm bias about it, but it feels like this is another case of Vigneault playing favorites.

Thoughts?