clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

NWHL News: New York Riveters Name Head Coach

New, comments

Former Ranger Chad Wiseman will be the Riveters' first ever head coach.

The New York Riveters have named former New York Ranger Chad Wiseman as their first ever head coach. In 5 games with the New York Rangers in the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons Wiseman scored 1 goal and 1 assist for the Blueshirts. Wiseman was selected for the job by general manager Dani Rylan of the Riveters, who is also the commissioner of the league.

"Women's  hockey right now in North America is arguably the fastest growing sport. This league is not only great for women's hockey, but hockey in general. This is an exciting time for anyone to get involved in a piece of history.  I'm happy and honored to be a part of it." -Chad Wiseman

As far as I can tell Wiseman has no recorded coaching experience but was playing professional hockey as recently as last season in Japan. Wiseman most recently took the ice with the Nippon Paper Cranes in the ALH (Asia League Ice Hockey), so he is going straight from playing organized hockey to getting behind the bench to coach the Riveters in their inaugural season.

"I'm just excited to get started- to get down to NY, meet the players, and get training camp under way... The next 6 weeks will be busy making sure I have everything I need and I'm prepared when I get down to NY. I'm a strong believer in preparation and attention to detail."

Wiseman has played hockey in five different professional leagues in just as many countries so he'll be bringing a lot of experience to the Riveters that spans from playing at almost every level of the game. Wiseman is just 34 years old but given how recently he has played the game and his valuable experience with hockey at almost every level he should be a good choice for the Riveters' first bench boss. Wiseman is only the second coach to be named for the upcoming NWHL season, the other being Bobby Jay who has signed on to coach the Boston Pride.

-

Last week the Riveters also announced the addition of Nana Fujimoto, the starting goaltender for Japan's women's national hockey team. Fujimoto is considered to be among the elite female goaltenders in the world which is easy to understand after taking a look at her stats from the 2015 IIHF World Championships and her performance during the Winter Games in Sochi.

"Being able to play in such a competitive league means a lot to me in regards to personal development, but also means a lot to the hockey world in Japan," Fujimoto said, "Ice hockey is still a minor sports in my home country, but I hope that my success in the NWHL will give hope to the young players back in Japan."

If you want to get to know the effervescent Nana Fujimoto better, check out this interview she did with Puck Daddy's  Jen Neale here.

Fujimoto is just one of several additions made by the Riveters since June who now have 12 players signed on to skate for the team in their inaugural season. The most recent additions to the club have been Elena Orlando and Meghan Fardelmann.

If any of you happen to be redditors there is an AMA happening right now featuring two of the Riveters' forwards; Beth Hanrahan and Janine Weber. Click here to get to the reddit AMA where you can ask Hanrahan and Weber anything you'd like!

As always, thanks for reading. Let's go Riveters, let's go Rangers.