Messier reflects on Jagr approaching his 1887 points

Jaromir Jagr has 1883 points in his NHL career. He is currently ranked third all-time in the record books just ahead of Gordie Howe and just behind New York Rangers legend Mark Messier. But he won’t be ranked third for long.

Jagr trails Messier by just four points. The fact that the greatest Czech-born player of all time will be second only to Gretzky in points when he finally hangs up his skates is inevitable.

The only question now is when does it happen.

Messier was made available to members of the media today in a conference call set up by the NHL. And the (two-time) captain of the Rangers happily shared his thoughts on his former teammate’s achievements from the past, present and future.

"When he came into Pittsburgh he dazzled us with his power and his skill and his overall game,” Messier recollected. “And later on in his career he inspired us with his passion and dedication. He's played long enough to understand the significance of what the game means to him as a person and as a player.

“The only way you can play and do what he's doing right now is to make sure you're  putting the time in for your conditioning and taking care of yourself,” Messier continued. “And to really have a deep passion for the game. The game has to be the  number one priority in your life because it takes a lot of time to prepare for each and every game, never mind each and every season.”

Messier laughed when asked about where he thought Jagr would be in the record books if he hadn’t left the NHL (after his time with the Rangers) to play three seasons in the KHL with Omsk Avangard. He admitted that Jagr had really already passed him because of his production in the KHL, and that his former teammate moving into second place all-time in points was a “foregone conclusion”.

The Rangers’ legend also chuckled comparing Jagr’s numbers in the KHL to his own production in another league. Messier pointed out he had just 11 points in the WHA in his first season as a professional in the 1978-79 season. It was a statistic he enjoyed sharing and having a laugh about.

“You've got to give Jaromir a lot of credit for what he's been able to do in his career early on,” Messier shared. “And then maybe even more credit for how he's able to sustain himself over the years and still be competitive and productive."

Jagr succeeded Messier as the Rangers’ captain in 2006. For many fans it was strange to see the “C” on the chest of a player that had for so long been an adversary and had played just a season and a half in New York. Messier’s skates were not easy ones to fill.

But after the 2004-05 lockout Jagr proved to be everything that Rangers fans could have ever hoped for. He was magic during his time with the Blueshirts.

The ageless one piled up 319 points in 278 games for New York. Jagr the team back to the playoffs for the first time in seven seasons and eight years with his unforgettable 54 goal, 123 point season.

That season Jagr eclipsed Adam Graves’ single season goal record for the Rangers by two goals. And he also crushed the great Jean Ratelle’s points in a single season record by 14 points.

But before becoming a Ranger there was a lot of talk about Jagr not being the same player he once was. In two full seasons with the Capitals he failed to eclipse the 80 point mark. He was also unable to get Washington into the playoffs until his second season with the team.

Jagr wasn’t happy in Washington and everyone knew it. The Capitals couldn’t afford him at the time with the lockout approaching. It made the situation incredibly difficult for general manager George McPhee.

"This was a contract that we had to move. We couldn't go forward in our market in a new era with this type of deal... He could have scored 300 points a year -- we couldn't afford him.” -McPhee

But the Rangers didn’t hesitate to trade Anson Carter for the big-name winger on January 3rd, 2004. The deal was especially tantalizing thanks to the Capitals agreeing to pay for $20 million of the remaining $44 million on his contract over the next four seasons.

“Like any player that would come into a team that I was on I would get my information firsthand,” Messier told Blueshirt Banter. “There were a lot of things being said about Jaromir at the time. I always gave the benefit of the doubt to the player.

“And when Jaromir came to the Rangers I saw a great guy,” Messier continued. “A great teammate who was fun to be around, loved the game, trained hard, was professional and was dedicated. That's what I witnessed as a teammate and as a friend.”

In the time that Jagr shared with Messier in New York after the big trade he picked up 29 points in 31 games. But that wasn’t enough to get the Rangers and Messier back to the postseason.

“I enjoyed my time with him,” Messier, a six-time Stanley Cup champion, reflected. “Unfortunately, we didn't have the best year in New York, which was disappointing. But from an individual standpoint and from a teammate standpoint I had no problem with Jaromir and what he represented when he came to New York.”

Messier hopes to be in attendance for the game that Jagr matches and/or surpasses his 1887 points and moves into second place behind Wayne Gretzky. And he is looking forward to giving his friend and former teammate a call when it happens.

When asked how much longer Jagr, who is now 44-years-old, can keep playing, Messier gave his fellow legend the benefit of the doubt.

"When I watch Jaromir and I see him play his game and his shifts he's still hustling to get the puck and retrieve the puck,” Messier observed. “He's still covering a lot of ice when he's out there. He's still very powerful on the puck. And he's playing with some great players.”

Messier added that Jagr is showing no signs of slowing down. The Czech-born legend is still finding ways to contribute and get pucks in the net. Messier described him as one of the most dominant players inside the blue line hockey has ever seen.

“What it will boil down to eventually is what he wants and how he wants to contribute to the team as the team improves,” he continued. “And where he can play and how he can contribute."

There is little doubt that Jagr would have been the second player to 2,000 points if not for lock-outs and his time in the KHL. But for now all he is focused on is getting the Panthers to the playoffs.

Jagr and the Panthers play the Winnipeg Jets tonight at 8:00PM. And they will next meet the Rangers on March 7th, 2017 in Florida.