clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Riveters alternate captain Morgan Fritz-Ward announces retirement

New, comments
A Day In The Life Of The New York Riveters Women's Hockey Team Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Morgan Fritz-Ward played in 17 of the New York Riveters’ 18 games last season. She was named to the All-Star game and was an alternate captain both in the league’s inaugural season and in 2016-17.

Heading into tomorrow’s game she has four goals and two assists in 23 NWHL games.

And today Fritz-Ward, a former captain at Quinnipiac University, has announced her retirement from professional hockey at 23-years-old.

From the league’s press release:

“To all my friends in Riveters Nation, I have made the decision that it is time to end my hockey career and start on my new, personal career,” said Fritz-Ward. “I want to thank the league for everything they have ever done for me and allowing me to live out my life-long dream, my teammates for being some of the greatest people I have ever met and also supporting me, and the fans who have made and continue to make this league possible and so enjoyable!

“This was no easy decision, as hockey has been my life since I was ten years old, but I have decided to get back on track with school, which I will be attending in January. I am truly blessed for having had the opportunity to do what I love for over a year. Thank you all again for the support and dedication you have given to me and the league.”

Morgan Fritz-Ward Mike Murphy

It’s no mystery that the NWHL salary cuts are the reason that Fritz-Ward has decided to hang up her skates and “retire”. The Riveters are losing a big piece of their heart. And Riveters fans are losing a player that they have grown to love for her work ethic and intelligent two-way hockey.

Fritz-Ward will play her final two NWHL games this weekend in Newark.

And, undoubtedly, she will be sitting at the table with the rest of the team on Saturday and Sunday signing autographs with her trademark smile for fans and inspired little girls.