clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Amanda Kessel will captain an All-Star team

New, 4 comments
Mike Murphy

The 2017 NWHL All-Star Game will take place in Pittsburgh at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex on February 11th and 12th.

Kelley Steadman and Amanda Kessel have been designated as the captains for this year’s ASG because of their connections to the Pittsburgh area.

“I’m excited and honored to be part of this year’s NWHL All-Star Game, and it’s especially awesome to have it in the city where my brother has found a new home and success,” said Kessel.

“I’ve been lucky to experience first-hand what a great hockey town Pittsburgh is. To be able to showcase the talented hockey players of the NWHL to the passionate fans of Pittsburgh is going to be a lot of fun and a great opportunity to expand our fan base.”

Kessel will be the first Riveters player to captain an All-Star team. Steadman will be the second Beaut in the league’s short history (Emily Pfalzer captained one of the teams last year, Hilary Knight captained the other).

The Riveters’ alternate captain and highest-paid player has played in one game thus far this season. Steadman has appeared in three games due to her responsibilities at RMU and her one game suspension.

But in Steadman’s three games with Buffalo this year she has seven points and she was last year’s All-Star Game MVP. Kessel has two primary points in her single NWHL appearance in early October.

New York Riveters All-Stars from last year:

Madison Packer, Nana Fujimoto, Morgan Fritz-Ward, Janine Weber and Kaleigh Fratkin (playing for the Connecticut Whale).

Plans for the All-Star selection process will be announced in the near future.

Tickets for the 2017 NWHL All-Star Game will go on sale Wednesday, December 14 at 10:00AM EST.